Part II in a series on mission opportunities for youth in the Diocese of Virginia.
In Part I, we examined a few nearby mission opportunities, including ministries in the Appalachian Mountains. Today, we explore a few more domestic mission adventures!
Group WorkCamps – Workcamps are week-long Christian mission trips where the group serves people in need through challenging home repair projects. For six days, join other youth groups to repair sagging porches, rebuild unsafe steps and wheelchair ramps, and paint homes. The workcamp organizes everything for the group. There are trips for junior high and senior high groups. Camps are located throughout the United States. Churches from the DOV including Pohick, Lorton and St. Thomas’, Orange have participated in these camps. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
REACH WorkCamps – This program offers a week-long mission of service to low-income communities. Working with local agencies and/or local churches, the camps seek to make an impact on residents, communities, students and adult sponsors who attend. The camp encourages spiritual growth and enables groups to understand their role in combating poverty. Students through grades 9 through 12 can attend workcamps. There are a number of locations in the Eastern United States. Churches from the DOV including St. David’s, Ashburn have participated. For more information, contact email@example.com.
The list above is only a snapshot of youth mission opportunities, provided as a starting point for groups looking to get involved. However, DOV churches participate in a wide variety of domestic mission trips. Below is a list of youth mission trips occurring this summer:
Youth Mission Trips occurring in the Summer of 2013:
- St. James’s, Richmond to St. Timothy’s Outreach Center in Barnes Mountain, KY, June 2 – 8
- Church of the Creator, Mechanicsville to Hurley Community Development in Hurley, VA, June 16 – 21
- St. Stephen’s, Catlett to West Virginia, June 16 – 21
- St. Mark’s, Alexandria to YouthWorks Camp in Lewiston-Auburn, ME, June 22 – 29
- St. Mary’s, Arlington to assist with the Sandy Relief Effort, June 22 – 29
- St. Matthew’s, Sterling to assist with Sandy Relief, June 23 – 28
- Pohick, Lorton to Group WorkCamps in Bluefield, WV, July 6 – 13
- Church of the Good Shepherd, Burke to Camp Hope in Frostburg, MD, July 7 – 13
- St. Mark’s, Richmond to assist in Appalachia Ministry, July 14 – 20
- Christ Church, Charlottesville to Denver, CO, July 13 – 23
- St. Mary’s, Arlington to participate in local mission trip in VA, DC, or Appalachia, July 13 – 20
- St. Alban’s, Annandale to assist in Appalachia Ministry in Hurley, VA, July 14 – 19
- Trinity, Fredericksburg to Grace House in Wise, VA, July 14 – 20
- St. James’, Leesburg to participate in Towel Ministry in Swansboro, NC, July 20 – 27
- St. James’s, Richmond to West Virginia, August 4 – 10
- St. Timothy’s, Herndon to Dungannon, VA, July 27 – August 3
The Office of Mission and Outreach realizes this is not a complete list. If your church is sponsoring a domestic youth mission trip this summer and isn’t listed, please contact Ashley Cameron (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Mary Anne Bryant (email@example.com).